(Founder and Artistic Director: Susie White)


Saturday 3 September 2016

I was told there would be cake! posted by Noor

As Meroe says, “Once a Ya Raqs girl, always a Ya Raqs girl”. Even though I’m not able to dance with them any more, I go along to watch the girls perform whenever I can. So when Meroe asked if I’d like to join them and demonstrate Tunisian costume at the World Museum Liverpool, of course I said yes. (The fact that cake was mentioned may have influenced me a little!)

The Tunisian costume was always one of my favourites, in part because it was an opportunity to wear lots (and I mean LOTS) of bling, but there’s no denying that it’s not a quick costume to get into and out of. In fact the brown and tan outfits which the girls usually wear are ‘stunt costumes’; partly sewn together for ease of dressing. What Meroe wanted to demonstrate was how a real Tunisian costume is worn.

This seemed like a good idea at the time, but then it came to Saturday morning and I suddenly realised that I was going to be standing in the museum atrium, in front of an audience, in my ‘underwear’. Actually in a blouse (called a qamisa), pantaloons (qalsoun or mizoo) and a waistcoat (yellek or boustou), but nonetheless . . . 

Noor in her ......underwear!
Indeed, Phoenece was scandalized by my appearance and told me to make myself decent at once! Fortunately Meroe was on hand to do just that, by enveloping me in a large Tunisian wrap, called a melia. This is fastened on the shoulders with large pins called fibulae, which are joined together with a decorative chain. Add a yarn belt, a headdress, and a little bit of bling, and I was ready to go.

Meroe pining Noor in to the Melia


Noor fully clothed again.
Once I’d been made respectable, the girls were able to perform their first set, which consisted of Tunisian and Moroccan dances. Then it was a quick change back into civvies for me and Nubian costumes for the girls, who performed a second set and gave a workshop. This turned out to be one of the biggest workshops Meroe has run, thanks to a very enthusiastic Brownie troupe who all joined in.  


Moroccan routine in full swing.
After the workshop it was time for a well-earned lunch. But oh no! The museum café had run out of cake!!! We had to make do with sandwiches. As we were leaving the café we noticed that more cakes had mysteriously appeared, but by then it was too late. Still, there was always later.


Wot! No Cake?
Next the girls travelled down the Nile and performed a Saidi set. Then to finish off the afternoon they went all-out glam, in their beautiful beaded dresses evoking the Golden Era of Egyptian bellydance. 


Meroe, Phoenece and Namia entertaining the crowds with the Saidi set.


Phoenece, Meroe, Naima and Kebi performing Aziza.
The museum staff reckoned that there were over 700 visitors throughout the day - that certainly deserved a cup of tea and a celebratory cake. But it was not to be; sadly by then the café was sold out again!

Despite being cruelly deprived of cake not once but twice I had a great day watching the girls perform and being dressed up - thanks to Meroe for inviting me.


No comments: